Friday, July 20, 2012

Daphne's kids class

Every once in a while I get asked to do a kids class - usually during a school break or summer holidays.   This is a great opportunity for the kids to relieve their boredom and do something crafty.    Kids always amaze me with their wonderful imaginations and crafting skills.   It seems as children we have no fear of expressing ourselves creatively and somehow, along the way, we get older and it gets more intimidating.    Maybe it's the fear of criticism from others on the work we do but I have found that we are each our own worst critic.    That's the fun of crafting with children - they dive right in with gusto, put their own spin on things and keep looking for more. 

I am always looking for ideas for kids crafts and was sure to bookmark Connie Stewart's page on a cute project.   Here's the first project I had the girls work on:

Thank you for the inspiration Connie!    This is my version of Connie's project.  I used a white paper gift bag for our base.   The bow is punched from pretty in pink cardstock.  The butterfly punch that Connie used has retired and (gasp!) I didn't keep it but sold it recently at my Open House.    Kinda kicked myself when I saw this project and realized I needed to put my thinking cap on to figure out how to make the bow.      I was pretty happy to see that my brain does still work and came up with the plan to use petals punched from the blossom petals builder punch.    Four of the petals are attached to the back of a punched circle and a basic rhinestone gives it some sparkle.   Small circles are punched from basic black card stock for the eyes and a small oval is punched from daffodil delight for the nose.   Strips of basic black are attached to the oval for whiskers.   A tiny hello from the Tiny Tags set is stamped on pretty in pink with basic black and then punched out using the full heart punch.     Kids love punch art so this was a great project to get the class started.   I told them I had a little something to put in their bag at the end of class to thank them for coming.

Next we worked on another punch art project that, unfortunately, I do not have a picture of.   We created a jumbo paper clip bookmark using the scallop circle and owl punches.   Another great project!

Here is the card I had the girls work on:

This card uses the images from the retired Build-A-Bear set called Beary Best Friends.   I let the girls stamp whatever images they wanted from the set on to their card.   I loved what they created with the girl bear and all of her accessories.    They then coloured their images with crayons.  The whisper white layer was then attached to a layer of lucky limeade and then on to the wisteria wonder base.

While the girls were busy working on their cards, I had a card for the ladies to do as well:

This card was CASEd from the wonderfully talented Patty Bennett.   I modified my version by using different  DSP and card stock and not embossing the card base.   The card base used here is primrose petals with a layer of DSP from the Patio Party pack.   Whisper white is layered on midnight muse after being stamped with the floral image from the Blooming with Kindness set in primrose petals ink.   Some daffodil delight is applied to the flower using a sponge dauber.    Thank you also comes from the same set and is stamped on whisper white with midnight muse, punched out with a circle punch and layered on a primrose petals scallop circle.  A pretty butterfly comes from the set Papallon Potpourri and is stamped on whisper white with midnight muse and punched out using the new Elegant Butterfly punch.  Some midnight muse stitched ribbon and basic pearls are the simple embellishments for this card.   Thank you Patty for the inspiration.    I am a big fan!

Our final project (again - no picture) was a sticky note holder.    I had the holders already assembled and let the girls stamp and colour their images for the front.

Everyone seemed to enjoy their projects.    I had a great time!    It's always a pleasure to share what I love with others, especially kids with tons of enthusiasm!   

My next post will be of some of the new cards I have created.   Check in again soon!   Thanks for stopping by.

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment to let me know you were here.